Laser Therapy for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia
The method of treatment for benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) has changed dramatically over decades of practice. Initially, men who presented with lower urinary tract symptoms related to enlarged prostate would be treated with surgery, if at all. In the 1980’s, the gold standard of treatment for benign prostate hyperplasia was TURP, or Transurethral Resection of the Prostate, a minor surgical procedure. While TURP does remain a viable treatment option for some men, we now have the option of reducing urinary symptoms of the enlarged prostate using advanced laser technology.
Prostate laser therapy provides us with an alternative to surgical techniques that excise tissue that is blocking the urinary tract. There are a few laser devices and methods that may be suitable to reduce symptoms. Our Chattanooga men’s health practice has been equipped with a sophisticated Thiliium laser, which has been touted as one of the safest and efficient lasers for prostate procedures. We use this laser to perform laser enucleation and vaporization of the prostate.
Advantages of Laser Enucleation/Vaporization for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia
There are some advantages to laser therapy for symptoms of BPH. These include:
- Reduced bleeding risk. This is a significant advantage for men who take medication that causes thinning of the blood. Men with bleeding disorders, which can inhibit normal clotting, may also be better served with laser treatment.
- Outpatient procedure. In many cases, it is possible to perform laser ablation in an outpatient setting. If hospitalization is required for any reason, the stay is usually no more than one night.
- Fast recovery. Laser surgery is conservative in the manner of excising or reducing tissue within the prostate. Because blood vessels are immediately cauterized by laser energy, bleeding, and other post-surgical side effects are less intense. This translates into faster recovery.
- Prompt results. Men who undergo laser ablation for BPH often report that their symptoms improve in a matter of days versus weeks or months. Additionally, the outcome of laser ablation may provide permanent improvement with no further treatment.
- Lasting results. When treated with a laser enucleation for an overgrowth of prostate tissue, most of that tissue is completely removed. Therefore, the chance for the prostate to regrow and cause your symptoms to return is very low.
For men with less severe urinary issues we do also offer Rezum (steam therapy) and Urolift as effective and safe options that have no effect on sexual function. These procedures can be performed in the office without a general anesthetic, and usually have a very mild recovery.
We are interested in helping men affected by benign prostate hyperplasia return to a great quality of life. To learn more about how we can help you, call (423) 778-4MEN (4636).